- What firmwares currently have a Jailbreaking method?
3.41 and 3.55. You were able to Jailbreak 3.31 as well, but the online store that sold the Modchips closed.
- How do I Jailbreak my PS3?
Note: If you are one of the few people that still has a PS3 on 3.41, I highly suggest you to update to 3.55 and do the 3.55 Jailbreak.
- What can I do with a Jailbroken PS3?
-Depending on the custom firmware you’re using, you can run linux, run hombrew applications, run backups, online mods, and much more.
- If I have a Jailbroken PS3, can I still go online?
Yes you can.
- Will I get banned if I go online with my Jailbroken PS3?
If you use rebug, or whatever spoofer is being used responsibly, chances are, you won’t. By responsibly I mean, at the first sign of ban waves (Try to stay up to date with the PS3 modding scene), you uninstall the .pkg and wait for more news.
- What is a “spoofer”?
It is a hombrew application that makes your PS3 look like it’s running the latest firmware, so if you’re on 3.55, Sony will think you’re on the latest firmware.
- What is a custom firmware?
A custom firmware is an original firmware edited by a developer/hacker not associated with Sony that let’s you do things you are not able to do while running an original firmware (Eg running homebrew, linux, etc).
- Which do you think is the best Firmware?
In my personal opinion, Kmeaw’s. There’s no firmware that has something that Kmeaw’s doesn’t, and it has almost no brick reports.
- Can I make my own custom firmware that fits my needs?
Yes! Thanks to Kmeaw, you can now create your own firmware using MFW builder.
- Is there any way to downgrade from 3.56/3.60/3.61?
Yes there is, you will need an E3 Flasher.
- I am on 3.56/3.60, what can I do?!
Buy an E3 Flasher!
- How will I know if there’s a new custom firmware for my current firmware?
It will be posted by a trusted member in this section. Stop searching for them in youtube, it’s the same than searching “phisher sites”.
- Can I run Backups on my PS3?
Yes. A tutorial can be found here.
- Is my PS3 Backwards compatible? (Can play PS2 games)
You can play PS2 games on some PS3’s. Simple way of knowing if you can or not: 2USB Ports? No. 4 USB Ports? Yes.
- If I have a Jailbroken PS3, can I still host MW2 modded lobbies?
Yes, there is a patch that works after MW2’s 1.12 update, but, unfortunately, there are no rank mods in it.
You can find it here.
- How do I host a MW2 modded lobby?
You can find a tutorial here.
- Can I host Black Ops modded lobbies?
No, there was a method but it was patched. And even if you found a way to host, you would get instantly banned from PSN.
- Did PS3 Modding started this year?
No! You can read the whole history behind PS3 Modding and all its important characters here.
- But I still have more questions!
No problem! Feel free to PM me, AIM me, or post in this thread.
If you want to submit a Q&A, feel free to do it as well. If your question is good enough, I will add it to the thread and due credit will be given.