Wii U Modding Guide
Before you begin
Here is some important information that you should know when you want to softmod your Wii. Be sure to read the entire page!
Is this legal?
Pirating games however IS illegal. This includes downloading games for Emulators and Backup Launchers, as well as installing Virtual Console or WiiWare titles that you don’t own.
What are the risks?
There is always a small risk of bricking your Wii (this will render it completely useless).
But do not worry! We have tested our steps over and over again, so there should be minimal risks. Even when something does go wrong, as long as you followed the instructions, you will be fine!
Note that the steps we provide are MUCH easier than e.g. rooting an Android phone or flashing an Xbox.
In fact, the Wii is probably one of the easiest and safest consoles to hack out there.
What will it cost me?
A little of your free time. 😉
What will I need?
Will it work on my Wii?
This guide will work with any type of Wii except the Wii Mini (which lacks an SD card slot).
Note that no other guide works with the Wii Mini either.
The guide is completely compatible with:
Will it work with the WiiU (virtual Wii)?
The main hacking guide includes steps for vWii mode of the WiiU.
However, several homebrew programs are not compatible with the vWii. Be especially careful when installing things:
Any homebrew that does not install anything should be fine.
Note: If you do end up bricking the vWii, the WiiU mode will still work. There is currently no way to brick the WiiU mode from vWii.
What will I LOSE?
Functionality wise, the Wii will lose nothing at all. Everything will still work as before it was softmodded. So softmodding will only give you additional functionality.
Something very important you WILL lose is your warranty. This means you will not be able to send it in to Nintendo for free repairs anymore.
Note that there is NO other way. Some sites (usually sites where you have to pay for this) claim that your warranty will remain, but this is not true!
What can I GAIN?
Of course it would be pointless to do this if there was nothing to gain.
Depending on what modifications you do, you can gain:
* DVDs will only work on older Wiis. On more recent Wiis, you can only use SD and/or USB.
Can it be undone?
It is technically possible to undo a softmod. However, the steps to do so are very dangerous and can brick the console quite easily.
That’s why we do not provide the steps to do so.
Note that even if you undo the softmod, it will never erase all traces. Nintendo will be able to see the console has been softmodded before.
As a result, you can not regain your warranty, ever.
In conclusion: once it is softmodded, it will always be softmodded.
However, since a softmodded Wii can do everything a normal Wii can, there is no real reason to “unsoftmod” it.
So many pages… What to do first?
The first thing that has to be done with every Wii is the initial softmodding process. It is a very easy process and won’t take much of your time. (If you know the process, you can easily do it out of your head in 5 minutes).
In this guide, this initial process is called the Hacking guide. This guide can easily be found in the sidebar and in the site header (after “START HERE ->”).
After doing the initial Hacking Guide, you are free to do what you want to do and when you’re doing it. If another step is required to complete a page, you will find this information in the Required section on the top of the page.
Bathaxx is an exploit found in the game LEGO Batman. The exploit was made by Team Twiizers & lewurm.
(Official Video guide here:
0. Play the LEGO Batman game at least once and back up the save file to a safe location.
1. If there is a “Private” folder on your SD card, rename it to Privateold (or something else).
2. Download the Boot.dol/elf to execute (for example the Hackmii installer, the boot.elf is in the hackmii_installer folder so you can copy it from there). Place it in the root of the SD card (this means: not in any folder).
3. Download the Bathaxx pack and place the Private folder from the Zip in the SD card root (where the original private folder was).
4. On you Wii, go to the Saves management (Wii Button -> Data Management -> Save Data)
5. Boot the LEGO Batman game.
Additional Hackmii installer steps:
6. You will see a Scam warning screen.
Wait for the message at the bottom to appear, then press 1.
7. You will see a screen like this one:
Depending on your Wii, it will show different things behind BootMii:.
Press A to continue.
Now we get to the main menu, where we can install everything.
First install the Homebrew Channel (choose Yes, continue).
The Homebrew Channel will now be installed on your Wii.
Optional (Recommended) Steps: Installing BootMii
BootMii is a helps greatly with Brick protection and it is recommended to install it.
It is not required however.
These steps don’t work on WiiU
8. In the HackMii main menu, choose BootMii… and press A. You will get another menu.
9. Before BootMii will work, we need to prepare our SD card, so do that first with the third option.
10. Install BootMii as IOS. This will always work.11. If you’re one of the lucky winners, choose install Bootmii as Boot2, then Yes, continue and let it install.
Once you’re done, return to the Main menu and choose Exit. It will reboot the Wii.
If you installed BootMii as Boot2, the BootMii menu will appear every time.
12. Don’t forget to restore your old private folder if you had one!
References & Sources (1)